Wednesday, June 8, 2011

#Trust30 - Writing Prompt #3 - Beliefs

I signed up to be part of this writing project by one of my favorite people on the internet, Seth Godin. It is called the Trust 30 Project.

#Trust30 is an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Use this as an opportunity to reflect on your now, and to create direction for your future. 30 prompts from inspiring thought-leaders will guide you on your writing journey. 

 I am a few days behind so I will be catching up on the writing prompts by posting a few a day until I am caught up.

Here is the website if you want to learn more and join. Please let me know if you join so I can read your posts.

http://ralphwaldoemerson.me/

 

It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude. - Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance

The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What’s one strong belief you possess that isn’t shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?
(Author: Buster Benson)

 Wow, this is tough. I am not sure what I believe that is not shared by the people closest to me. You tend to keep people around you who keep you in line with your goals.

If I had to pick one belief it would have to be twofold idea. Karma and creativity. I believe everything happens for a reason. All of our actions results in the events that come to us later in life. If I do wrong, then later I will pay for it. People tend to look at me like I am crazy when I mention karma.  The other aspect is creativity. This is more for education, but it applies to my family as well. Instead of drill and kill we need to teach kids how to think and not follow a rote process. Give them a challenge, give them x amount of days to solve and then present their findings and research. No more reading chapter 12, answer the chapter questions, take a test. Education needs to be more open to prepare these kids for the future where they job market will be dependent on innovation and creation of new ideas. If you don't believe me, then why is anything that can be done by a computer/robot is taking all the jobs of Americans. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! Have joined #Trust30 today!@teachingwthsoul

Em said...

Well said! Good post. Along with teaching innovation and creativity, I think schools should be fostering colloboration instead of purely competition. I had this topic for Trust30 prompt 3 too. http://bit.ly/iHXD7f