Wednesday, June 22, 2011

#Trust30 - Writing Prompt #9: Afraid to Do..........Youth Sports Issues, My Business Idea, and Running a Marathon

I signed up to be part of this writing project by one of my favorite people on the internet, Seth Godin. It is called the Trust 30 Project.

#Trust30 is an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. Use this as an opportunity to reflect on your now, and to create direction for your future. 30 prompts from inspiring thought-leaders will guide you on your writing journey. 

 I am several few days behind so I will be catching up on the writing prompts by posting a few a day until I am caught up.

Here is the website if you want to learn more and join. Please let me know if you join so I can read your posts.

http://ralphwaldoemerson.me/

Afraid to Do by Mary Jaksch

The other terror that scares us from self-trust is our consistency; a reverence for our past act or word, because the eyes of others have no other data for computing our orbit than our past acts, and we are loath to disappoint them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Emerson says: “Always do what you are afraid to do.” What is ‘too scary’ to write about? Try doing it now.

(Author: Mary Jaksch)

As you know I am way behind on these writing prompts, but this writing prompt is actually the topic of a future Getting It Done post in my new series. This ties in so well with a recent episode of Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition where the latest episode trainer Chris Powell tells the person he is working with that he needs to get over his fear. He states that you will always be scared of your fears until you deal with them. Staying scared will never solve the problem.

This topic is very much what I am currently trying to overcome. I will be honest in that I am scared of actually running a marathon. I cannot imagine myself running 26.2 miles. That is why I post so much on my training to keep me going. It would be so easy to fold on myself if I was not sharing my journey with you readers. However, those days where I have self doubt I think of the blog and remember that I cannot let the people down and need to see through what I am writing about.

This is what I am doing. Documenting my journey. This post has already begun and will continue to the next 4 months.

I love this topic. This is one that I hope to use in my classroom. We must learn to face our fears.

I am trying to think of other fears that are too scary to write about and I am not sure I have anything else on my plate.

Actually..........I take that back.

I have considered for years starting up my own business where I work with local athletes on sports nutrition, fitness, conditioning, and skill work. I know nothing too new here. Where I would be different is that I would not train sport specific at younger ages. Instead I would focus on team dynamics, agility, core strength, quickness, etc. so that no matter what sport the athlete ventured into in their future, their time and money would not be wasted. I cannot tell you how many examples we have of athletes committing to one or two sports at a very young age, playing year round, and by the time they are ready for high school or college they are burned out and no longer want to play. My approach would keep things fresh and fun for a long time and hopefully eliminate this issue. I think youth sports in America is a mess and and I have many issues with how things are dealt and ran.

One of these days I will test this idea out(maybe with my own kids). First things first, I need to run that marathon.

There you have it. Two ideas

What about you?

No comments: