Monday, October 3, 2011

5 Mile Sunday Night Run

Last night I went out for a run. It was only my second run since the marathon. I have been following a plan created by Half Higdon. I ran a few miles earlier on Thursday. My legs were not quite there yet, so I took Friday and Saturday off. 


Last night I could not believe how dark it quickly became. I felt like it was 5:00 in the morning. I took not quite sure what to expect. I have been eating whatever I want, when I want the whole week. As nice as that sounds it made me realize how important nutrition is as I just did not feel myself. I felt my energy level drop(part of this is due to the marathon) and my mood change. I missed running, but knew it was better to rest.


I took off running mile 1 nice and easy at a 8:39 pace. After an easy mile my body was just screaming to get going and be pushed. I could tell that my brain and body did not want an easy run, but a little bit of a challenge. I picked up the pace and ran mile 2 in 8:02. I was starting to breath a little heavy, but felt like giving my body a good challenge. I ran mile 3 in 7:38, mile 4 in 7:21, and finished mile 5 at 7:21. It felt good to have tired legs, heavy breathing, and a good sweat going. 


My legs are a little sore today, but well worth it. I have not quite figured out what is next on my list. I did sign up for

Living History Farms Off-Road Races : 7-Mile

This race will be ran on November 19th. It is going to be a cold run through farms, trails, and 9 creeks. It just sounded too good to pass up. I stayed up until 10:00 on Friday to register. This race is in Urbandale, Iowa. That is one race lined up.

I would still like to get a marathon or half marathon in this fall. I will start training this week to gauge the body. My right foot has been giving me some problems when I stepped wrong last Wednesday. I want to take it easy and not force the running and be plagued with an injury and repeat last fall/winter.

I have my eye on the Des Moines Marathon(might be too soon) and the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon as well. I will make a decision this week. Happy Monday! 


No comments: