Sunday, December 11, 2011

Triathlon Training: Week 2 - Sunday Bike

Headed back to BMS this morning at 6:30 for another bike ride. I had two rides to get in this weekend to stay on track with my training. I know it is not ideal to ride two days in a row so early in the training, but it was the week played out.

Chad and I jumped on the bikes and we did the Spinerval 1.0 workout like we did last week. This is one heck of a workout.

Here is a breakdown of the Spinerval workout we completed. Needless to say I sweated like crazy after all the cookies and junk food I ate at the Lego Robotics Regional yesterday.

Length: 44 minutes
Difficulty Rating: 9.0
Type: Interval

The format is as follows:
~ 8 minute Warm-up including standard Spinervals warm-up of 3x30 sec in BR/15
~ 5 minute Tempo effort: Cadence always around 80, start in BR/18, end in BR/12, going down every minute.
~ 1 minute easy spin
~ 5 minutes Hard/Easy efforts in BR/15 switching every10 seconds
~ 1 minute easy spin
~ 6x30 seconds Super Spin in SR/15 (cadence above 120) with 20 seconds rest
~ 1 minute easy spin
~ 5 minute Race simulation (5 minutes 5K time trial all hard work with no rest, switching gears randomly throughout with some standing)
~ 1 minute easy spin
~ 5 Super Spin/Sprint intervals: 20 seconds (cadence >120, SR/15), 10 seconds to switch to BR/12, 10 seconds sprint seated, 5 seconds standing 15 seconds rest.
~ 6 minute cooldown

My butt hurt. It is not used to being in the saddle for two days in a row let alone for about 2 hours in a week. My stupid Garmin sensor was not working at first, but after about 15 minutes I was able to get it working. I spent about a hour last night working on it and I about chucked my bike and watch through my wall. I was tired of not having data on my bike rides. Thank goodness for everyone that it worked.

My data showed that I completed 16 miles in 45:45 which comes out to a 2:51 pace with an average speed of 21 mph. I am a rookie to the sport, but I realize that this would not happen on the real roads. But I will state that I was busting my butt pedaling like a maniac during some of these intervals. My max speed was 51.6 and I am sure that was during the 10 second all interval in max gear. My trainer sounded like it was ready for take off on the Quad City Airport runway. I was gassed at the of this workout.

We finished up and headed to Starbucks for some coffee. Not really any better way to start your day to be honest. Now I am off to spend some time with my family before swim class at 11:30. Life is good!

No comments: