Sunday, January 22, 2012

Book Review: The Fault In Our Stars



John Green AutographJohn Green Autographed Books

Alright, first let me just get the basic book review info out in the open

Book Description

January 10, 2012
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.




My Thoughts

Last weekend I started my adventure of another John Green novel. I was so excited and made a post about my reading style for this novel(nice and slow).

Friday night I finished this book. I had to finish. I was sitting at a crucial part of the story and just had to know how it ended. There are tons of reviews out there about this book. I have yet to see any who have not enjoyed this book. My goal is try offer something that does not sound like the rest.

I have given pause to think about why I like his novels so much. What is it that keeps me coming back to his material? I think it comes down to a few things that are essential.

1. His online presence - I look so forward to his videos with his brother. The videos have nothing to do with this books, but you are able to gain a glimpse into the mind of John Green. His rants about Catcher in the Rye or Great Gatsby show how intelligent he is. The videos also provide me a sense of his witty humor which help to bring his words to life when I read them.

2. His writing style - is loaded with witty dialogue. He can capture a communication scene between two characters about the most simplest of things and make your head spin. I don't know if everyone enjoys this type of thing, but I live for it. For example(not a spoiler), the discussion in TFIOS about eggs for breakfast is such a clever dialogue scene and one in which I had to stop and think about. Why are eggs considered "breakfast"? Mindblowing!

3. Authentic - is the only word I could think of to describe this final part of his writing, but I feel like there might be a better word out there. John Green does not try too hard to catch his reader off guard or go for the shock factor. He writes real life. This characters come to life on the pages and you cannot help but connect emotions with the characters. It is just a skill he possesses where you feel like his characters are real. He is not writing with a system that so many authors use anymore just to sell books. This book took him a long time to write. Did he rush? No, he took the time to write the story he wanted and it worked.

This book was awesome! I did not see a few things coming and when they happened it was only the obvious choice to go, but with my attachment to certain characters I wanted something else. When I finished I realized that my wishes would not have worked.


I have about 15 passages marked in my signed copy of the book. I really want to share them, but don't want to risk any spoilers to the reader who has not read or finished the book. However, this book will make it to my bookshelf of keepers along with his others. I have no choice but to go back and read his novels all over again to see what other parts of the stories I have missed.

I give this book 5/5. It was the perfect read for me. It brought me back to reading YA and fiction. However, it is hard to find another book to read following this one.

If you have not read this book, please do because it is so worth your time. If you have not read John Green, then you are missing out on some amazing characters.

Perhaps a book club on this novel is in order? I might have to work on organizing this for an online group.

Thank you John Green for making another lasting impression in my life with your stories. I look forward to discussing this book with others in Nerdfighteria.



No comments: