Friday, May 25, 2012

51 Days Remaining Part 2: Afternoon Bike Workout On Trainer

Let summer beginAva finally went down this afternoon. Little stinker was loving her first day of summer vacation and did not want to lay down for a nap. Around 2:15 she finally gave in and I quickly jumped on the bike. I wrapped up the end of No Strings Attached and began watching a documentary that is proving to be quite interesting.

Anyways, my bike workout called for 3 x 7 miles @ 56 mile race pace. Being that I have not participated in a 70.3 Ironman yet I don't really know my time. Being on the trainer I decided to ride at a pace that I thought was similar to how I felt during the Bluff Creek Triathlon. I knew that the speed would be much higher due to the trainer, but I wanted to begin to stimulate race conditions. Between each set I rode 2 miles at a lower gear.

I did the first mile warm up and then began. Miles 2-8 were my first split and I was in a good groove. I was riding at a good clip for me even on the trainer. I had to stop after mile 8 briefly as I jumped on the bike so quick that I forgot to fill my water bottle and put on my heart rate monitor. I grabbed those and jumped back on to ride two easy miles and began set 2. Set 2 went good as well. I was able to maintain a good pace and stay strong during the 7 miles. I then had to stop again to take care of Aiden and Addy. This was about 5 minutes. I jumped back on while the kids picked up the basement before going back out to play. The third set was a little more challenging as my legs started to get tired the last few miles. I ended up with a 2 mile cool down and called it a day.

I am glad I was able to get this done this afternoon. This will give my legs some good rest before my 12 mile run at 4:30 am tomorrow. So much for sleeping in this summer break!

Time for a shower because my headphones smell so disgusting and it stains my face of nastiness when I sweat. Ava is starting to wake up so let the craziness begin again.

No comments: