Friday, May 11, 2012

65 Days - Some Days You Feel Like A Dolphin

Once again, I had to get in a big workout in a short amount of time. Ava is still down and out. Actually yesterday she developed these spots all over her belly and along her hairline. Needless to say she is going back to the doctor again and her birthday party has been cancelled. No need spreading anything that she might have. This is a bummer as we were looking forward to having people coming over and for my parents to hang out for the day. It will be rescheduled and will work out, but having Ava be sick for the 5th day is just not fun. With the week we have had I don't think adding a birthday party to the list would have been enjoyable. Perhaps we can get caught up on everything including sleep this weekend.

Anyways, I got to the pool knowing I had about one hour to get in about 3200 yards. I was hoping for a good swim since the last one was cut short due to time and cramping. My legs were tired and a little sore from the bike ride yesterday. However, despite having tired legs I was able to get in some great workouts this morning. This workout called for me pushing my T-Pace times. I have not pushed beyond my T-Pace in a long time so I was not sure how this was going to go.

Here is the workout

300 Warm Up
300 kick (100 on my back)
200 Catch-Up

6 x 100 @ T-Pace -:01 with :15 sec rest interval
1:33, 1:34, 1:32, 1:34, 1:33, 1:29

I was pretty well dialed in with my times. I was working hard, but not all out. The 15 second rest was tough. I had to stay focused.

100 easy which I did 50 kick and 50 pull

4 x 100 @ T-Pace -:03 with :15 sec rest interval.
This set caused me to pick up the pace by 2 seconds. I really focused on making sure I pulled the water all the way through. It is amazing how much faster you can go when you actually complete the pull of your swim. I went faster while not feeling like I was working harder.

1:27, 1:26, 1:25, 1:27

I was very happy with these times. I have not seen times like this in a long time. It was a great confidence booster. I was tired by the end of this set.

100 easy of 50 kick and 50 pull

4 x 100 @ T-Pace -:05
I had to really dig and fight through these. The lack of oxygen is what gets me on these almost all out swims. I felt like I was just cruising and seeing my times I was cruising. This was the type of results I needed to give me a jump of confidence.

1:20, 1:20, 1:20, 1:18

100 easy of 50 kick and pull

2 x 300 of 50 catch-up, 25 RT/25 LT, 50 Perfect, 150 Free(I mixed in the pull buoy during this part to avoid cramps)

100 cool down

This was a great workout. I really needed a push and the fact that I was impressed with my times made it even better. I look forward to one more bike workout and possibly the QCDC race this weekend now that the party is cancelled.

Have a great Friday.


Total Swim: 58:27
Total Yardage: 3200

No comments: