Thursday, August 2, 2012

Late night training and early morning run

Yesterday I had a 40 mile bike ride planned. I had hopes of getting it done in the afternoon while Ava was asleep and then painting the living room. Well, neither got done. I started my bike ride, but after 4 miles Ava was up screaming. She was mad all day. I don't know what her deal is, but we think maybe her molars are coming in. So the bike was shelved as well as the paint job.

Finally, around 8 pm I was able to get on the bike. I did another 4 mile warm-up and started my workout.

I had a 40 mile workout with 3 x 8 mile intervals. These were tough. I typically don't workout at night as I never feel the best and I always take forever getting to sleep. My legs have been tired this week from the training and recovering from Bix 7 race this past weekend. These intervals were a good mental challenge for me. I had to really focus and push myself to stay strong on the pedals. My goal was to go stronger each interval. I was able to do just that. I was sweating bullets. Probably one of the toughest workouts on the bike in a long time.

Thank goodness for the Olympics. I love watching the events and the stories about dedication. It is a great reminder that these athletes are just like us and have decided to devote their lives to their passions. You cannot always train and be successful, but without the hard work you never know what you are capable of.

I finished the bike and made a smoothie with maca and chlorella for recovery. Not the tastiest, but I will see how it works. I did not get to bed until late with trying to cool down, Olympics, and trying to become tired again.

I was up this morning at 4:30. I wanted to run the Y and get some extra miles in, but my mind and body were shot. There was no way I was going to run more than 6 miles this morning. I hydrated, took a GU, and headed to the Y. It was awesome having a group of runners. Phil, Jay, Emily, Chad, and his foreign exchange person were all there ready to go. It was great to have people to talk with and catch up.

As the run continued I started to feel much better. It is great when exercise helps to get you back on track. I hope the group continues as the six miles flew by today.

I still have three big workouts left for the week. I am still trying to figure out how to get everything accomplished, but I will find a way. I have long ride that I need to get in since I missed my long ride last week.

Have a great day.
Post a Comment