Saturday, December 29, 2012

OS Week 9: Double Workout Day

So Friday presented me with tackling two workouts in one day. It was tough to get the run in late at night when I was not motivated, but I knew it had to be done.

Friday morning I knocked out my bike workout which called for

MS: 2 x (5 x 1/1) @ Vo2/Zone5/Very Hard.

Take 2' easy between each set of 4 x 1/1's. Remainder of any time you have available (if any, not required) @ 80-85%/Zone3/Mod-Hard.

These are Vo2 sets, as equal parts "ON" and "OFF" time, where ON is done at your Vo2 power, Z5 heart rate, or Very Hard effort, and OFF is at 65% power, Z1 heart rate, or Easy effort. For example, for the 1/1's, you will do 1' ON, then 1' OFF, repeating this for the specified set.

This was super hard for me. My legs were tired from getting back to training and all the garbage I stuffed in my piehole.

Here are my TR results - Rides - TrainerRoad http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/138672


 I hit my goals for all 10 1 minute intervals of pushing beyond 259 on the powermeter. It was not easy and the added 15 seconds to each interval was brutal. I did not think it would be a big deal, but it was.

I spent the rest of day organizing our house and moving things all over the place as my wife decided it was time to clean house. It was much needed, but left little room for rest.

When the family was in bed sleeping at night I headed down to the treadmill to get my intervals done.

MS: 4 x 200, 1 x 400, all at @ IP/Z5/Very Hard with full recoveries between each.
 
Tip: Welcome to the VO2 phase of your run training cycle. Do your best to run at the right pace. If the repeats are "too easy" consider cutting the rest down a bit between repeats. If your target is 6:00/miles, please don't run 5:05s!!!

My Zone 5 time split for running is 6:31 after the latest run test.


I started off with a 1.25 warmup gradually picking up the pace to get the legs ready to go at a faster pace. I have not ran in 8 days so this was a challenge mentally. Add to the fact that I was on a treadmill which I hate. However, I was able to get some wireless headphones connected to my computer to watch The League which gets me through!

My 200 splits were all under, but it was hard to judge with the watch and TM as they jump around so much. During my rest periods I would crank up the TM at .2 so that by .25 of the rest interval I was up to speed and would hit the lap button and run for at least .15 to ensure I made the distance. I hit paces of 5:53, 5:58, 6:08, and 6:05. For my 400 I hit 6:02 so I was way ahead of the prescribed time. However, it felt easy and I did not feel like I was overdoing it.

The worse part of running at night is that it takes me forever to cool off and relax. I could not fall asleep until after 11 which was a problem considering I knew I had to get up early for my long ride and run. I took some healthy natural plant protein mix that tastes like green peppers despite being advertised to taste like chocolate. I was very happy with myself for getting this done and not skipping.

No comments: