Monday, May 13, 2013

Book Review: Platform by Michael Hyatt

Platform book on Amazon


Michael Hyatt, one of the top business bloggers in the world, provides down-to-earth guidance for building and expanding a powerful platform.

To be successful in the market today, you must possess two strategic assets: a compelling product and a meaningful platform. In this step-by-step guide, Michael Hyatt, former CEO and current Chairman of Thomas Nelson Publishers, takes readers behind the scenes, into the new world of social media success. He shows you what best-selling authors, public speakers, entrepreneurs, musicians, and other creatives are doing differently to win customers in today’s crowded marketplace. Hyatt speaks from experience. He writes one of the top 800 blogs in the world and has more than 100,000 followers on Twitter. His large and growing platform serves as the foundation for his successful writing, speaking, and consulting practice.
In Platform, Hyatt will teach readers not only how to extend their influence, but also how to monetize it and build a sustainable career. The key? By building a platform. It has never been easier, less expensive, or more possible than right now. . .  The book includes:
  • proven strategies
  • easy-to-replicate formulas
  • practical tips
Social media technologies have changed everything. Now, for the first time in history, non-celebrities can get noticed—and win big!—in an increasingly noisy world.

MT THOUGHTS

I was not really sure what I was going to think of this book. I have tried to read other business marketing books in the past and just could not do it. I have a hard time applying the ideas to teaching and education. I recently discovered his website and decided to give it a try. 

I am so glad I read this book. It is geared for businesses and people looking to make a mark. I am not selling anything, but I am currently going through my many pages of notes to clean up and enhance my brand as an educator. I found many of tips and ideas very applicable to anyone. If you are trying to figure out how to best showcase yourself online, then this book is a must read. Based on this book I have two pages of notes for further people to study and books to read. I am working on creating my social network to be more enticing and professional looking.

I read the book as more of a workbook. I would read a section, reflect, and make a note of things that I felt needed to be tweaked in my own personal. life. So many great ideas.

It is easy to read and well structured. Going back and preparing for this review and studying my notes I decided to put some ideas in place. I have changed my email signature, worked on my About Me page,and am getting ready to work on some other tips provided. 

This is a book that would a great group study to compare how we make changes and learn from one another.

Another book that I feel is a must read if looking to enhance your brand and who you are.

No comments: