Wednesday, August 21, 2013

3 Ideas on How NOT To Present Great Ideas #coffeechugPLN

Want to get your kids off the iPad? Release a quail in your backyard!
Be a novelty and stand out like a quail in your backyard!
This post has been a long time coming. I am not here to offend anyone, but this is something that I need to share and get off my chest.

It is something that has bothered me for quite some time.

QUIT PRESENTING AMAZING IDEAS SO TERRIBLY!

Let me explain some of my observations from conferences and speakers I have sat through lately.

1. Slides

  • Declutter - you don't need 35 items on a slide. It is too much to take in at once and audience cannot process it all.
  • Too many words - we have heard this for years and yet so many still cram their slides with words, sentences, and paragraphs. If you want to share a paper, then share the paper. Don't write it up on slides.
  • Clip art - the time has come to stop using generic clip art. With so many great resources for enhanced images, stock photos, and editing tools there is no need to use these old school clip art images that are nothing but a slap in the face to the audience.
2. Presentation
  • Know your content - If all you are doing is reading off your slides, then simply sit down, hand out a copy of the slides, and let us read it on our own. Don't waste our time. We can read on our own.
  • Read your research paper/script - I would rather have a speaker falter by trying to engage than simply reading a script. I want to connect and hear stories. I don't want to be read to. We don't allow this from our students, so why do we do it?
  • Let us see your slides - Please don't stand in front of the projector and block your slides or presentation. Enough said.
  • Know your room - if you are a keynote, please don't apologize for blurry images or having a hard time seeing the images. If you know you are speaking to a large room, then adjust slides accordingly. Less is more and bigger is better.
3. Overall
  • If you are passionate about your topic, then why would you choose to bore us to death? If you are going to speak on the topic of creativity, then develop a creative platform. Don't just speak in a monotone voice with monotone slides. We are marketer so celebrate your ideas. Obviously, you have chosen to speak so you want to get the word out. So deliver!
  • Reflect and change - I am far from perfect, but after every presentation I reflect and make necessary changes. Don't use the same exact presentation over and over. We have constantly change, adapt, and modify as you continue to learn and grow as a person.
Alright, I feel much better getting this off my chest. If you have other thoughts, ideas, or suggestions please leave a comment. I would love to take this further and hear from you.

No comments: