Thursday, December 16, 2010

Book Review: The Charlatan's Boy

Title: The Charlatan's Boy
Author: Jonathan Rogers
Pages:305
Cybil Book #35

Author Website

From the book website and backcover of novel

As far back as he can remember, the orphan Grady has tramped from village to village in the company of a huckster named Floyd. With his adolescent accomplice, Floyd perpetrates a variety of hoaxes and flimflams on the good citizens of the Corenwald frontier, such as the Ugliest Boy in the World act.


It’s a hard way to make a living, made harder by the memory of fatter times when audiences thronged to see young Grady perform as “The Wild Man of the Feechiefen Swamp.” But what can they do? Nobody believes in feechies anymore.
When Floyd stages an elaborate plot to revive Corenwalders’ belief in the mythical swamp-dwellers known as the feechiefolk, he overshoots the mark. Floyd’s Great Feechie Scare becomes widespread panic. Eager audiences become angry mobs, and in the ensuing chaos, the Charlatan’s Boy discovers the truth that has evaded him all his life—and will change his path forever.

My Thoughts

Coming right out the gates with a strong opinion I rather enjoyed this book despite the fact that I am not sure why I had such a great time reading the novel. This is not something I typically would read or even pick out from the bookshelf. This is not something that I would like even if I did read a book like this. HOWEVER, I really liked this book.
The book had a "feel" to it. What was that "feeling"? I cannot describe. In many ways the tone, setting, feel of the layout of the land reminded me of the Boneshaker. BUT, don't begin to judge this book if you have read Boneshaker because it so very different and hence the reason I cannot explain my "feeling". I just had to know what was going to happen next to Grady and Floyd. I hated Floyd and as I read the book I kept waiting for something terrible to occur or some nasty secret to be unveiled. While I was feeling the hatred for Floyd I just had to know that Grady was going to be okay. What came about of these characters? I am not sharing that with you my young lad(s).

I chose this book because it needed more readers and I hope that this review snags more readers. I need to talk about this book. I need to find out why I really liked this book. There was no high octane explosions, no murder, no real love story, no nothing(bad grammar I know) that I typically look for in books. But, this is such a great read. If only I could tell you why.

No comments: