Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Book Review: Recovery Road by Blake Nelson

Title: Recovery Road
Author: Blake Nelson
Pages: 310

Author Blog: http://blakenelsonteennovelist.blogspot.com/

Synopse (from Powell's Books)

Madeline is sent away to Spring Meadows to help with a drinking and rage problem she has. It's a pretty intense place, but there is the weekly movie night in town--where Madeline meets Stewart, who's at another rehab place nearby. They fall for each other during a really crazy time in their lives. Madeline gets out and tries to get back on her feet, waiting for Stewart to join her. When he does, though, it's not the ideal recovery world Madeline dreamed of. Both of them still have serious problems. And Stewart's are only getting worse....


My Thoughts


This is my second book I have read by Blake Nelson. I have also read They Came From Below which I remember really liking. This book is going up at the top of the list for books read this year. I really liked Madeline. I found myself really rooting for MAdeline in this story. I don't know why, but I was really concerned for her. I wanted to see her make it through her addiction. 


This book contains a little bit of everything. I think it nails perfectly the love dynamics of growing up when you feel your heart being tugged in every direction and not quite sure where to go.


Stewart is another character you cannot help but like despite the problems. He is real. I guess that is a the key ingredient to this story. Everyone is real. I was able to see all sides of the characters - the good and bad. I felt like I could remember back to high school and imagine people in my life who fit these roles.


This book has humor. I found myself laughing out loud a couple time over the comments of some of the characters.


This book has real consequences of abusing and using drugs. Not every path leads to a happy ending.


This book has a whole host of one liners that I just loved and wrote down in my notebook of quotes. For example, "Dorks are physically uncoordinated. Geeks have specialized knowledge of complex systems."


I cannot say enough about this book. Read it for yourself. Discover the world of drug abuse. Discover the power of choices and how sometimes staying true to yourself and doing what is right is the hardest thing a person can do. Discover a novel that reminds us that we are in control of our future and it is all about how we view the world.


And yes, I will be reading the other novels by Blake Nelson once I get through all my books in my office.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree Madeline was a very compelling character. I know "strong female protagonist" gets done to death, but she was flawed and better for it.

The first few chapters of RECOVERY ROAD are posted on Figment, if anyone is interested in checking them out: http://figment.com/books/47401-Recovery-Road

Emily said...

I agree Madeline was a very compelling character. I know "strong female protagonist" gets done to death, but she was flawed and better for it.

The first few chapters of RECOVERY ROAD are posted on Figment, if anyone is interested in checking them out: http://figment.com/books/47401-Recovery-Road