Wednesday, March 28, 2012

109 Days Remaining - 800's on the track and a swim workout

We(Chad, Katie, and I) have been trying to figure out way to get ourselves on the track for some speedwork. We have talked about it for quite some time and finally made it to the track. After looking at different plans we decided to go with the Bart Yasso 800's. We took it very easy this morning only doing two sets, but I am happy with easy transition.

I don't typically run more than three days week. I have struggled trying to find time to get in a speed workout throughout the week because I feel like I am away from home enough as it is. Late last night after a few texts we decided to hit up the track around 4:45 am for the 800's. I knew I had to get in a good swim workout in also so I opted to go in earlier.

I was up at 4 am to get ready. I had to make an unnecessary stop at my school because I thought I left Chad's Garmin in my office. I drove there and in a state of panic of not seeing the watch realized it was in my coat pocket the entire time. I made my way to the BHS track and completed a one mile warmup. I was not sure how I was going to feel after being very tired and sore the last few days. My mile warm up went really well and I knew my body was ready.

I was not sure what pace to run and try to maintain as I am not really in marathon training mode right now. I decided to run by feel and get a pace that felt good, but not super hard. I ran the first 800 in 3:09. This felt pretty easy. I was not labored in breathing, but when I saw my time I was very surprised. I was happy with the time considering how easy it felt. I really worked on not extending my stride, but keeping my stride within reason and just working on quicker foot turnover.


I jogged a lap and around this time Chad and Katie arrived. As they did their warm up I ran my second and last 800. I ran 3:11 and this too felt easy. I know I could have cranked up the pace quite easily, but that is not the point in this training. We will keep building up our reps until we are up to 10-12 800's. For the first time I am quite happy. I just need to figure out if I should keep this pace or go a little faster and try to maintain as the reps increase. I need to read up on what to do.

After the run I headed to the Y for my swim workout. The plan called for 3000 yards, but I ran out of time and had to skip the 200 cool down so I ended with 2800 yards. This was a good workout. I liked this one a lot.

Total Yardage: 2800
Total Swim Time: 47:36

Warm Up
4 x 175 (75 open, 50 kick, 50 build DPS) - I mixed the 75 up doing freestyle, one arm swims, 6 kick switch)

It was weird doing a warm up when the body was already warmed up. Being that I was sweating from the run my goggles kept fogging up and leaking. It was driving me crazy.

One problem I noticed today is that my DPS was constantly between 15-16. I need to get this down to 14-15. Perhaps my tired legs are to account for the extra stroke.

My T Pace for 75's is 1:10

Main Set
6 x 150
Each 150 was 100 build with 10 sec RI with 50 fast with a 30 sec RI
100 - 1:31
50 - :42

100 - 1:28
50 - :41

100 - 1:32
50 - :42

100 - 1:30
50 - :42

100 - 1:30
50 - :41

100 - 1:28
50 - :41

300 Kick with fins and board - 6:17(legs and quads were tired during this set)

6 x 100 (75 build with 10 sec RI and 25 fast with 30 sec RI)

75 - 1:05
25 - :20

75 - 1:05
25 - :21

75 - 1:06
25 - :19

75 - 1:04
25 - :20

75 - 1:05
25 - :20

75 - 1:05
25 - :21

300 Pull - 5:10

This was a great start to the day. I was not anywhere near as tired as I thought I would be. I did hydrate in the morning and I brought a GU Brew mix to the pool. I do have to get in a bike workout tonight as I skipped the bike last night after feeling like crap from being tired and allergies. To see my times all below my T-Pace and knowing it did not feel real difficult is great to see. I hope to continue to make strides in the pool as well in my running times.

I need to get my bike caught up with my swim and runs and I will be in great shape.

1 comment:

Jeff Paul said...

You can find any research you want to find regarding running workouts. That's a good start. If they were easy next time try 4 of them in 3:05 target time. Keep me posted. I'd be glad to help you set up a 1x week running interval workout if you wanted.