Friday, October 5, 2012

Ironman Training: Day 5 - Swim Drills

Preseason Week 1
Week 1: Swim Assessment

Today I remembered my goggles, but like an idiot I forgot my pen and my watch to record my data. I will do my best to use what little brain power I have left today.

Today was my first time back in the pool in a long time!

It felt great to be back in the water. I forgot how much I love swimming. It was rough today, but I enjoyed getting back at it in the pool.

Today I started out with the swim assessment workout provided by Endurance Nation. I have decided to fork over some money and get some guidance with my training. I will give this a try and see where it takes me. I am excited to try something new and hopefully learn more about myself and training.

Warm-Up - 200 - 400 yards
I did 400 yards - 100 free, 100 pull, 100 kick with board, then 100 fast. I was gassed one the 100 fast. I did the first 50 alright, but I could not believe how tired the last 50 felt. I have lost a ton of ground.

Main Set 1 - 4 x 50 yard Swim Golf (this is where you take your time and # of strokes to get a score)
Sets 1-3 @ moderate - 75, 75,76
Set 4 @ hard - 72
**This is where I needed my pen and watch. I am trying to remember and had to look at the clock far away so these may not be the most accurate.**

Main Set 2 - 10 set drill progression working on technique
2 x 50 of each drill. I ran through this twice - golf, touch and go, hand lift, 3/4 wait for it, right arm, left arm, single switch, triple switch, hand lift, golf

By the end of this I was tired. I could tell my body was out of shape.

Main Set 3 - Swim Golf again
Sets 1 - 3 @ Moderate - 75, 74, 72
Set 4 @ Hard - 70

I did see improvement after the technique work. I don't know what this all means yet, but I take it as a good sign.

I ended with 200 cool down of 100 pull and 100 free.

This took me 50 minutes to get in the 2000 yards.

I felt pretty good considering. I took AdvoCare Spark and Arginine Extreme before so that helped quite a bit.

Long bike ride assessment and long run this weekend. Slowly getting back to the grind.

Have a great weekend.

I am working on a new training video. If you have any topics you would like for me to cover please leave a comment and let me know. I am not an expert, but would like to share things of interest. Thanks

No comments: